Saturday, October 11, 2008

Less Than Twenty Bucks

It was one of those days that new reminisce of those moments in the past that as a kid(or even as a college student), you used to buy street food less than 20 pesos and be satisfied. But as time goes by and the impact of the world financial crisis in the US, it seems that everything around you is pricey. Even the simplest food that you eat! So accompanied by a friend and armed with a hundred peso bill, we decided to meet up at UP Diliman in Quezon City and look for those treats around the campus that will satisfy your hunger and it won't even cost you an arm and a leg. And be ready to eat those, just in case food prices do soar up high...we may never know!

Without further ado.

Number 1 Find: Fishball and Kikiam
Probably one of the most popular street food of time and the all-time favorite. The taste of flour and fish, and more flour. We were at the UP Shopping Center when we found this booth that sells it and decided to eat this.
Cost: For Fishball - 50 centavos each ball
For Kikiam - 12 pesos per piece, divided in 6 bite size pieces

Number 2 Find: Kernel Corn with Butter and Cheese
One of my favorites! Steamed kernel corn with luscious margarine with sweet and tangy cheese powder. Man, when I saw this, I immediately ran to the stall bought one for myself. Satisfying the kid in me....again.
Cost: 20 pesos for a 16-ounce cup

Number 3 Find: Chicken Gizzard, or popularly known as Isaw
THIS IS THE REASON why I go to UP. Grilled chicken gizzard, with spicy vinegar on the side. Mang Larry, thank you.
Cost : 3 pesos per stick

Number 4 Find: Botchi ( or "butsi" ) Fried Chicken Stomach ( basta, laman loob din yun! )
Another reason why I want to study in UP. To visit Mang Larry.
Cost: 20 pesos per pack


So there are the 4 finds I made. I sorely miss those days back in Sta. Mesa where I used to eat all of these stuff everyday after school.

5 comments:

eMPi said...

marunong sa buhay! magaling!

Anonymous said...

I only eat no. 1, hehe.
gizzards and other internal organs? gwrk!!!
binatog ang tawag dun sa kernel corn with cheese and butter and it's very popular in Baguio City..

you might want to take extra careful in picking stall, well alam mo na.. typhoid, cholera...

you might want to visit my site @
http://kenshin0070618.blogspot.com


cheers!

Anonymous said...

oh wow! that was a an awesome post, when my brother went for a vacation in p.i. he got so bored that he had to go to school... it was for at least 4months, this was way back... anyhoo, he was telling me these stuff they sell out on the streets and from the sound of that... i think he likes it, and coming from me (who loves food) well... i want some of those you were describing in your blog... LOL! (it's like i'm blogging in someone else's blog) hehe...

thanks for posting that :)

Anonymous said...

asteg.

i love fishballs...

Carlomer said...

i missed the isaw sold near ilangilang residence hall. i wonder when's my next visit to my alma mater?