Sunday, November 30, 2008

What's Your Poison?

My poison?

Three letters. ( SEX? Nah..)

MSG. Or Monosodium Glutamate.

Firstly, let us define it. Monosodium Glutamate is a sodium salt and is used as a food additive and is commonly marketed as a flavor enhancer. Some of the trade names of monosodium glutamate include Ajinomoto, Vetsin, and Accent.

We all know what M.S.G. is. It is mostly used as a seasoning in food, especially us Filipinos who like our viands tasty. It is also a common ingredient in junk food.
And that's what I like to share.

My poison is junk food. And here is the list of my favorite munchies every time I watch a DVD movie at home during Saturday night. Lets start with the local ones first:

1. Piattos - Category : Potato crisps
I just can't get enough of this. Every time I walk through the snack aisle of every supermarket, I just have to take one big bag.

2. Tostillas - Category : Corn Chips
One of the few junk food that I can find solace. Nacho corn chips and cheese powder. What more can you ask for?

3. Nova - Category : Multi-grain Chip
I love these when topped with ground beef, cheese sauce and grated cheese! I don't feel guilty!

4. Nachos - Category : Corn Chips
One of the more saltiest junk food I've eaten.

5. V-Cut - Category : Potato Chips
This one is a classic! Ever since high school, I never fail to eat this. In every inuman I go, it is always present. Maybe because of its spicy flavor.

6. E-Aji - Category : Corn Chips with Dips
I just like the dip. Not the chips.

7. E-Aji Potato Chips - Category : Potato Chips
Wow. San Miguel Corp. did a great job! It almost tastes like Lays! One of my favorites!!

Now, let's go international:

1. Pringles - Category : Potato Crisps
I will kiss you if you give me a can! Hahaha!

2. Pik-Nik - Category: Potato Crisps
Another classic. This junk food never fails to its promise. Its just that every time you eat it, you're OK!

3. Lay's Potato Chips- Category: Potato Chips
I will kiss and hug and kiss and hug and kiss and hug you if you give me a bag. This is my ultimate junk food enjoyment.


As an addendum to this entry, I'd like to share this recipe of mine for those people who are MSG-whores as well. This recipe is a good appetizer for a party, inuman or just bumming around the house. I call it - "The P.A.A.N.I." (potcha, ang alat naman nito!):

P.A.A.N.I. Recipe

Prepare the following:
- 50 grams of ground beef
- 500 grams of French Fries
- 2 bags of Tostillas Corn Chips or nacho chips
- 1 can of Tostitos Cheese Sauce
- small onion, chopped finely
- a pinch of salt and pepper

Fry onion and add in ground beef. Add the pinch of salt and pepper to taste. After cooking set aside. In a deep fryer, fry the French fries until golden brown. Drain oil using paper towels. Add salt to taste. Set aside. In a big serving bowl or plate, arrange the nacho chips around the plate to serve as base. Then top with the cooked fries. Pour over cheese sauce. Add in ground beef as topping.

Serve!

I cannot watch a movie without three bags of these munchies or one serving of PAANI. They really are a must. Sheesh.

Now, I can't wait for next Saturday for my usual fix of my poison.

How about you? What is you poison?

1 comment:

eMPi said...

oy!!! daming junk foods ah... penge ako parekoy... lolz